History of Kiev Hotels
The history of Kiev Hotels business is ancient and interesting. There was a Mikhailovskiy Hotel Kiev on 4 Triokhsvyatitelska Street in 18th Century. One of its guests was famous Russian Grigoriy Rasputin.
Kiev Pechersk Lavra was the owner of the first best high society hotel in Kiev in 19th century. The two story hotel building was erected in 1805. It called “Green Hotel”. Probably the hotel got its name because of green color roof and ovens. Many famous people stayed there: Russian diplomat and writer Aleksander Griboedov and Ukrainian writer Evgen Grebinka. The Green Hotel in Kiev was also mentioned in Taras Shevchenko’s novel “Twins”. The hotel was destroyed at the end of 19th century. According to official archive information there were only two Kiev hotels in 1824. The first hotel is the above mentioned Green Hotel on Pechersk. The second one is a hotel on Podil.
The first Kiev hotel by European standards was built in 1851 by the architect Aleksandr Beretti. This hotel had the name “European”. The hotel had an experienced French manager Germen Breton within long time. Famous Russian poet Fedor Tutchev, the scientist Ilya Mechnilov, the writer and historian Nikolay Kostomarov stayed at this Kiev hotel. There was nice restaurant at hotel that was considered as the best city restaurant. Unfortunately, this hotel was destroyed in 1970. The new building of Lenin’s Museum (Ukrainian House at the present moment) was built on that site.
There was another one Kiev hotel that had the name Grand Hotel by the address 22 Khreschatyk Street at 19th century. World famous persons such as Duke Monpansieur and Brasilian Emperor Pedro The Second were guests of this Kiev hotel. There were many other hotels on Khreschatyk Street such as “France”, “England”, “Bellevue” and “National”.
The most luxury, respectable and famous Kiev hotel at the end of 19th century was Continental hotel. It was built close to Khreschatyk Street on 5 Nikolaevskaya Street (now Gorodetskogo Street). The hotel had 100 spacious rooms, big restaurant hall, winter garden, billiard saloon, four reading rooms, two electric elevators, baggage storage room and summer garden with lighted fountains. The hotel was equipped with heating and ventilation system, electric lightening and hot water supply. As it was written on hotel’s ads the Continental Hotel Kiev was a competitor of European hotels. The Continental Hotel Kiev was completely destroyed by Soviet miners in 1941. The building was restored after 1945. Ukrainian Musical Academy occupies this building at the present moment.
There were 95 Kiev hotels in 1912. There was Ermitazh hotel on 26 Fundukleevskaya Streer (now Bogdana Khmelnitskogo Street). It was very popular among people who come to Kiev to see theater performances. The hotel’s guests were famous Russian poets Andrey Beluy and Aleksander Block. The small cozy Kiev hotel with a name “Drevniaya Rus” (Ancient Rus) was situated on the corner of Vladimirskaya and Sofievskaya Streets. The hotel highlights were wonderful view on St. Sophia Cathedral and a restaurant with delicious national cuisine. Praha Hotel was opened in 1913 at 36 Vladimirskaya Street. This hotel had a unique summer restaurant on the roof. Visitors could enjoy magnificent city view.
Palast Hotel was opened in Kiev on the corner of Bibikovskiy Boulevard (now Schevchenko Boulevard) and Pushkinskaya Street in 1912. It was the highest Kiev hotel building. There was 150 rooms at hotel. It had the following advantages: central heating system, electrical lightening, phones, cold and hot water supply, bathrooms, dust-cleaners, reading room, elevators, automobiles and carriages for guests, opera glasses, umbrellas, paper and envelops for letters.
That was all services that were considered as very modern and comfortable. Nowadays there is Kiev Hotel Premier Palace at that building.